I was doing some cleaning over the Christmas break when I stumbled across this apple tea cake recipe that my Nonna taught me a few years back. I was so excited to find this recipe (I thought it was gone forever) that I went into the kitchen and baked it straight away. It is so delicious straight from the oven and as the name suggests, goes perfectly with a cup of tea. Thanks Nonna for the recipe – you’re actually the best!
1 cup plain sugar
60g butter, melted
1 1/2 cup self raising flour
3 green apples
1 cup of sultanas
1. Grease a 20cm round tin with butter and coat finely with flour. Turn over on to 180 degrees.
2. Mix the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the melted butter and mix together.
3. Slowly add the self raising flour until mixed through.
4. Mix through the sultanas.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
6. Peel the apples and chop into chunks and then place on top of the wet mixture.
7. Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked all the way through (I don’t mind it being a little moist before taking it out).
8. Make sure you have a piece straight from the oven!